Michigan Foreign Corporation Formation
If you’ve already incorporated in another state, but you wish to expand into or
begin transacting business in Michigan, you’ll likely find that you need to register
as a Foreign Corporation.
Steps to Form a Michigan Foreign Corporation
To register your Michigan Foreign Corporation, you must complete an Application
for Certificate of Authority to Transact Business or Conduct Affairs in Michigan,
which will be filed with the Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth of the
Secretary of State. Your Application for Registration must contain the following
- Name: Your name must include the required corporate designator, and it must be available
for use at the state level. To reduce your changes of a rejection because of name
availability issues, you may decide to have Click and Inc perform a
business name search for you.
- Jurisdiction: List the state in which you were originally incorporated, as well
as the filing information in that state.
- Corporate address
- Registered agent: This must be a person (or already existing corporation) residing
in Michigan with a physical address. If you do not have a
Registered Agent in Michigan, Click and Inc can appoint one to you.
- Specific purpose for the business you wish to transact in Michigan
- Shares: Provide the total amount of authorized shares.
Additional Requirements for a Michigan Foreign Corporation
To register as a foreign corporation in Michigan, you must obtain a Certificate
of Good Standing from your initial state of incorporation.
Click and Inc can prepare and file your
Michigan Foreign Corporation for you quickly, accurately, and affordably—The
required Certificate of Good Standing is included in your foreign corporation order.
Michigan Startup Quicklinks
For information on other types of businesses in Michigan, please explore the links