New Jersey Foreign Corporation Formation

A New Jersey Foreign Corporation filing is required if any corporation existing outside of New Jersey wishes to expand into the state in order to transact business. Foreign filings are available for any entity type: LLCs, for-profit corporations, and non-profit corporations. Both foreign and domestic filings alike take place with the Secretary of State.

Steps to Form a New Jersey Foreign Corporation

To form a New Jersey Foreign Corporation, you must complete an Application for Authority, which will be filed with the Division of Corporations of the Secretary of State. Your Application of Authority must contain the following:

  • Name: The name of your business as it appears in your original domestic state.
  • Registered Agent
  • Registered Office
  • Business Purpose
  • Incorporated Under the Laws of ___________ (your original state, as well as the filing date in that state)
  • Main Business Address (in either state)

Once officially registered as a New Jersey Foreign Corporation, you will receive a Certificate of Authority, which will include your corporate state ID number.

Additional Requirements for a New Jersey Foreign Corporation

Any incorporated entity, whether domestic or foreign, must obtain a FEIN (federal employment identification number) and must include this number in all correspondence with the state. This number is also used for tax purposes.

Along with your New Jersey Foreign Corporation paperwork, you will need to submit a Certificate of Good Standing from your original state. This document is proof of your business’s ability to abide by law and regulations.

How Click and Inc can Help

Click and Inc can file your New Jersey Foreign Corporation for you; we obtain your Certificate of Good Standing as part of the process!

Order Now

Other Types of Businesses in New Jersey

For information on other types of businesses in New Jersey, please explore the links below.