Illinois Foreign Corporation Formation

You likely need to file your existing business as an Illinois Foreign Corporation if your corporation is domesticated in another state and you're considered to be transacting business in Illinois. This is done by submitting a document called the Application for Authority to Transact Business in Illinois to the Department of Business Services, found online as CyberDrive Illinois. CyberDrive is located in the capitol building in Springfield, Illinois, but documents do not have to be delivered in person.

Steps to Form an Illinois Foreign Corporation

With the Application For Authority, your corporation will be able to transact business in Illinois legally and properly. Without such a filing, you may be fined or otherwise penalized for doing business in Illinois before you were given permission. To register your foreign corporation name, the following information must be provided on your Application For Authority:

  • Corporation: You must provide the legal name of your entity, as well as the state in which you incorporated and the date of that filing.
  • Address: Give the address to which CyberDrive Illinois may send you correspondence.
  • Statement: Hard-written into the form is a statement to the effect that you have not begun to do business in Illinois prior to this registration. If this is not true, you should consult with a corporate attorney or legal advisor prior to filing, as additional fees may be required.
  • Effectiveness date: Your registration is effective for approximately one year—until the first day of the twelfth month following your filing date.
  • Signature: The Application must be signed by an officer authorized to execute the form.

Additional Requirements for an Illinois Foreign Corporation

Illinois requires that you attach a Certificate of Good Standing from your original state to your Application for Registration. This certificate will tell CyberDrive Illinois whether you have been compliant in your original state; if you are not in active status, Illinois will reject your Application for Authority to Transact Business in Illinois. can prepare and file your Illinois Foreign Corporation for you quickly, accurately, and affordably. Or, if you simply need your Certificate of Good Standing, we can take care of that as well.

Order Now

Illinois Startup Quicklinks