Maine Corporation: Incorporate in Maine
Process to Incorporate in Maine:
Maine caters to all kinds of businesses. To incorporate in Maine, you need to contact the Secretary of State. Before you start your business, you need to go through tax registration, permit and license requirements. A trucking license and vending machine license are two of the licenses you will need to operate a corporation in Maine.
Maine Corporation: Business Start-up Checklist
- You need to prepare a business plan.
- You need to make a decision as to whether you want to operate as a partnership, sole proprietorship, corporation or limited liability company.
- Hire an attorney if you are interested in incorporation or a limited liability company. You can get incorporation documents from the Maine Secretary of State.
- If you are not interested in incorporating and want to protect your business name, you need to file a trademark with the Secretary of State’s office.
- You must know well in advance whether you require any state licenses to operate your business. Maine Business Answers licensing service can help you by providing an overview of all the license applications.
- Interact with the local code enforcement officer to ensure that your business is in line with local zoning ordinances.