Hawaii Corporation: Incorporate in Hawaii

Hawaii Incorporation

A business can be incorporated in Hawaii in four different ways: by hiring a lawyer to help you with the legal aspects of incorporation, by taking assistance from the State Department office, by hiring a professional incorporation company or just by doing it yourself.

Incorporate in Hawaii

If you want to incorporate in Hawaii, you need to choose a name for the company which ends in corporation, incorporated or limited or its abbreviation. The name should not be same or similar to the name of any other corporation, partnership or foreign corporation.

There needs to be a minimum of three directors in a corporation. This number can be less if the number of shareholders is less than three (then the number of directors needs to be as many as the number of shareholders). At least one of the shareholders needs to be a resident of the state of Hawaii and there is no age requirement. Directors and officers should be listed in the articles of incorporation.

An annual statement needs to be forwarded to the Hawaii Secretary of State. Domestic corporations need to file the annual report with Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs by March 31. Once incorporated, the company pays an income tax of 4.4% of first $25,000 of taxable income, 5.4% of taxable income of $25,000 to $100,000 and 6.4% on all taxable income over $100,000.