Your New York Startup. Where do you start?

Everything you need to know about starting a business in New York

How do you know what type of business entity is right for your New York startup? has gathered information on the most common types of New York businesses so that you can make the best decision on the entity type that’s right for you and your business.

C Corporation in New York

When you start a C corporation in New York, you’ll begin by filing Articles of Incorporation with the New York Department of State. This is your company’s formation document, including information about your business, and it is a public document.\

When you start a C corporation in New York, you’ll be able to issue multiple classes of shares to as many shareholders as you like. Your C corporation can be owned by non-US citizens and US citizens alike, and your business could own or be owned by other business entities. The company itself will file income taxes to report any gains or losses.

Learn more about forming a New York C Corporation before choosing this entity type for your startup.

S Corporation in New York

S corporations are formed in the same way as C corporations—by filing Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State—but they are taxed differently. An S corporation is a pass-through entity, passing gains or losses onto the individual owners to report on their tax returns. There are more restrictions than C corporations.

Learn more to determine if a New York S Corporation is right for you.

LLC in New York

LLCs (or Limited Liability Companies), like S corporations, are pass-through entities as far as tax purposes, which means that owners claim corporate gains or losses on their individual tax returns. Like a C corporation, they can have unlimited members and can be owned by US citizens, non-citizens, and other business entities.

Learn more about a New York LLC.

Foreign Corporation in New York

If you’ve already formed an entity in a different state but you want to do business in New York, you can submit an Application for Authority to do business in New York as a foreign corporation.

When you work with to set up your New York Foreign Corporation, we will order your existing company’s Certificate of Existence from your original state—this document proves that you are up to date in your original state, and New York requires a copy of it when you apply to be a foreign corporation.

DBA in New York

For sole proprietors and unincorporated partnerships, a DBA is called a Business Certificate in New York. They are filed with the County Clerk where you are physically located (a physical address, not a PO Box, is required), and the document that you will receive upon filing is, typically, the document your bank will require when you set up your business bank account.

Incorporated businesses, such as LLCs and corporations, will file their DBA at the state level—this is called a Certificate of Assumed Name in New York. The filing will be tied to your corporate records, showing that your entity is operating under a name other than its legal corporate name.

See how can help you set up your New York DBA.

501c3 Not-for-Profit Corporation in New York

There are many purposes for which you could form a not-for-profit corporation in New York—agricultural, scientific, religious, literary, fraternal, athletic, etc.—and many of them would allow you to form a 501c3 Not-for-Profit and enjoy the significant tax and other benefits. There are two steps to do so: first, register your not-for-profit corporation with the state of New York; then, apply for the tax-exempt status with the IRS. Click and Inc can handle one or both of these stages for you.

Take a look at further information about filing a 501c3 Not-for-Profit Corporation in New York.

New York Startup Quicklinks